Downgrade macOS 14 Sonoma Beta (23A5257q)

Hello everyone,

Yesterday, I updated my MacBook Pro 2023 to the beta version of macOS 14. Previously, I had macOS 13 installed. Unfortunately, I didn't make any backups using the Time Machine app before this update.

I'm an iOS developer and I use xCode daily. I installed the beta version 15 of xCode, but now I've realized that I can't publish updates of my app on the App Store using a beta version of xCode.

I want to revert back to macOS Ventura by downloading it from the Mac App Store. However, when I try to proceed with the downgrade using the official installer on my main disk "Macintosh HD," I receive the error shown in the attached image: "The volume cannot be downgraded."

How can I go back to macOS Ventura in these circumstances so that I can use the stable version of xCode 14.3.1?

I appreciate your kind assistance and thank you in advance.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Pauell Down vote post of Pauell
8.2k views

Replies

Multiple versions of Xcode can coexist. Xcode 14.3.1 probably runs fine under Sonoma - have you tried?

You will need to set the active version of Xcode using xcode-select -s /path/to/active/Xcode/Contents/Developer

https://github.com/XcodesOrg/xcodes is a handy tool to download and unpack Xcode versions more quickly, and provides a GUI to activate the desired version.

• XCode 14.3.1 doesn't even start on Sonoma

• Having the same issue. Opening Xcode prompts: "You can’t use this version of the application “Xcode” with this version of macOS." "You have “Xcode” 14.3.1."

Add a Comment

I installed the beta as well, but 2 of the apps I frequently use started crashing on startup, thus I'd love to know how to revert to stable version too

Desperately trying to revert here, too.

Same problem here. I either need to find a way to run XCode 14, or to downgrade my mac OS installation back from the beta. The new XCode linker segfaults when building my app.

Not sure if the following helps, but that is what I did (after accidentally upgrading to macOS Sonoma).

Xcode 15 beta will work on macOS Sonoma but you can't submit updates with Xcode beta.

Note: I am no expert, so do with caution.

How I wiped and installed macOS Ventura:

1. Took a backup
  2. Downloaded macOS Ventura from the App Store
  3. Created a bootable USB disk of macOS Ventura
  4. Booted with USB, wiped disk
  5. Install macOS Ventura
  6. Copied files from backup.

I still don't know how to download the macOS Sonoma installer without upgrading. Any help would be appreciated.

You update your OS to the beta version and you are not able to send a version to the AppStore. This is nonsense.

I will try to create a macOS Venture virtual machine with UTM.

I'm in exactly the same situation. I couldn't upload the build to TestFlight because of the error caused by the Kingfisher pod using some private third-party APIs. I also couldn't wait for Apple or Kingfisher to fix it.

I didn't make a backup.

So I tried to downgrade macOS to Ventura, just like you did, but I encountered the same error: "The volume cannot be downgraded."

The best and easiest option I found for myself is to create a new volume on the hard drive and install Ventura there. As a bonus, you will also have access to your files from the main volume without any additional effort.

Anyone get an answer to this? I am in the same boat, can't downgrade need to be able to build for the App Store.

As far as I know, though Macs are technically capable of being downgraded, there's no way of downgrading while keeping all your data. However, you could manually copy some of the customised files (e.g. ~/Library/Application Support) in your home folder and the particular Applications folder and then move them to the downgraded system without using Time Machine before.

For Apple Silicon Macs, other than primary Recovery, you can use the new "Fallback Recovery" to go back to an old version of macOS. Remember you'll lose ALL your data after this.

1. Boot into Fallback Recovery first. Here's a description of entering Fallback Recovery from https://eclecticlight.co/2023/03/02/recovery-on-apple-silicon-macs-has-changed-again/

"(T)he official way is the same as entering primary Recovery, only instead of pressing and holding the Power button once, you press it briefly first, then immediately press it again and hold it, with a di-dah rhythm and timing."

1. Open the Disk Utility from the status bar. Erase the Macintosh HD Volume. Remember to choose the "Erase the Volume Group" when prompted to confirm erasing.

2. Exit Disk Utility and go back to the main screen of Fallback Recovery. Now you can see the option of "Reinstall macOS Ventura" or "Reinstall macOS Monterey" option. Here to go.

You can run Xcode 14.3 from terminal in Sonoma

just open a terminal window and type:

open /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/MacOS/Xcode

• This is it! Thank you so much. Why is nobody upvoting this answer. It saved my day! First it feels odd when operating with Xcode and having this "forbidden" symbol over the icon all the time. But you can just ignore it and use Xcode as you always did under Sonoma.

• I've tried this but still had an issue after submitting the app for review on the AppStore. The error was stating the binary was invalid. So it works only if you don't plan on releasing new app versions.

• Same problem here. I downloaded 14.3 and ran it through command line. It worked fine but when i tried publishing to app store it was giving an error "Invalid binary".

You, man, are a lifesaver. Thanks a lot. I don't need to submit to the App Store, just working for my company while our app is made compatible with Xcode 15.