Can't log into iCloud: Verification Failed - Your username or password is incorrect.

In DP 1 I got a few problems with iCloud. I wasn't able to remove and re-add my account either. After I upgraded to DP 2 (after an upgrade to a new DP there is always a "setup wizard light", where you have to enter your iCloud-Password, but no new user will be created) I was logged in, but - stupid me - because of the problems I thought it would be wise, to still remove and re-add my iCloud account. Removing was no problem, but re-adding is not possible, because I'm getting the following error:

Verification Failed

Your username or password is incorrect.

Yes, I double- and triple-checked and I copy and pasted. Username and password are correct. I also tried the alternative e-mail-adresses (@icloud.com, @me.com). Nothing. I can login in iTunes, however App Store also doesn't work.

Long story, short question:

Does someone know a solution to this? Or is it by any chance possible to run the "setup wizard light" again that pops up after an upgrade? Or do I have to wait a long week until DP3? 😉

(Yes, I know about the .AppleSetupDone, but I have to create a new user then.)

I wish you a nice day. 😀

Answered by Max108 in 18546022

I just tried logging out of iCloud, rebooting and, from Finder, running the Setup Assistant app (/System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app).

It prompted me to login to my iCloud account with a username and password, much like after the first boot of the update. It changed nothing else - didn't even close down any other apps. It contains an executable called "minilauncher", reference to which is contained in a compiled (i.e. gobbledigook) file close to the string "firstbootiCloudlogin"...

So, you never know...

Hi Ryu, sorry to hear that the whole process turned into a time-consuming game of whack-a-mole for you. I'm glad that most of the missing functionality was recoverable in the end. Fingers crossed for DP3. 🙂

I have "fixed" it with the following.

Disable icloud two step verification. Then it works all again.

It was never enabled in my case. My error is back. All I had to do was restart.

Well, there will be most probably a new build tomorrow. Let's hope the best. 🙂

I'll just have to tell you this:

Since it worked after reinstalling the system, I set up my Time Machine to be prepared for another iCloud lockout.

Today my system didn't awake from sleep so I had to force reboot it. After it came up, I once more had iCloud issues. I let Time Machine do one more backup and then restored the restore point from yesterday, where iCloud was still working. It was not. It saluted me back with a iCloud error dialog box. So I thought that if so, I might as well use my newest backup and restored my restore point from today, after iCloud wasn't working anymore. I'm expecting the new build anyway in the next 30 hours.

But.

It worked. I really don't have to understand this. 😀

And I found out there is another way to bring up the iCloud Assistant: Backup per Time Machine and simply restore, then you don't have to delete anything. (However it's time consuming. Deleting the plist and calling the executable is the faster way. Just for the completeness of this thread. ^_^)

Hi Ryu 🙂

Interesting find - good to know there's a way to bring back the iCloud Assistant without deleting anything (less anxiety-inducing for some).

Can't log into iCloud: Verification Failed - Your username or password is incorrect.

Q