App Store Server Notifications for FAMILY_SHARED ownership (and offer codes)

Hi,

I have some questions about App Store Server Notifications that I can't seem to figure out. Specifically, those related to Family Shared purchases, that contain the 'FAMILY_SHARED' inAppOwnershipType.

I'll focus on 'OFFER_REDEEMED' notifications, but I have the same questions for regular subscription purchases (with no offers involved):

• When a user redeems an offer code for a given subscription, do we receive a notifications for each of the family members? In that case, should we receive one with ownership 'PURCHASED', and the rest with the 'FAMILY_SHARED', or could we just receive notifications for 'FAMILY_SHARED' if that's the one who redeemed it?
  • Assuming the redeemed offer was a free trial, whenever that user disables auto renewal, should we again receive one notification for each family member? We are certainly receiving disabled_renewal notifications with ownership type 'FAMILY_SHARED'.
  • Is there any way of linking a given 'FAMILY_SHARED' ownership event/notification to the original or parent 'PURCHASED' notification/purchase? They usually come later in time, with no specific order.
  • If we were to track the proceeds or active subscriptions, should we just ignore any notification with ownership 'FAMILY_SHARED', and focus on 'PURCHASED' ones ? In other words, is it safe to assume that we would always receive a notification of ownership 'PURCHASED', even if the one redeeming the offer code is a family member? (not sure if that is a possible scenario).

Thank you.

Replies

When a user redeems an offer code for a given subscription, do we receive a notifications for each of the family members? In that case, should we receive one with ownership 'PURCHASED', and the rest with the 'FAMILY_SHARED', or could we just receive notifications for 'FAMILY_SHARED' if that's the one who redeemed it?

Yes, you will receive PURCHASED for the owner and FAMILY_SHARED for the rest. Even if the purchaser left the family, they would continue to have the subscription, therefore their notification won't be involved in the family and will look like a regular subscription.

Assuming the redeemed offer was a free trial, whenever that user disables auto renewal, should we again receive one notification for each family member? We are certainly receiving disabled_renewal notifications with ownership type 'FAMILY_SHARED'.

Yes

Is there any way of linking a given 'FAMILY_SHARED' ownership event/notification to the original or parent 'PURCHASED' notification/purchase? They usually come later in time, with no specific order.

No.

If we were to track the proceeds or active subscriptions, should we just ignore any notification with ownership 'FAMILY_SHARED', and focus on 'PURCHASED' ones ? In other words, is it safe to assume that we would always receive a notification of ownership 'PURCHASED', even if the one redeeming the offer code is a family member? (not sure if that is a possible scenario).

See my answer to the first question for how PURCHASE vs FAMILY_SHARED is handled.

Please follow up if you have any additional questions.

• Thank you so much, I think you have answered my questions perfectly.

Add a Comment