Enterprise program: Can I update an existing provisioning profile with a new distribution certificate

Hi,

I created a new enterprise distribution certificate. Can I update an existing provisioning profile with the new certificate for a deployed app? Or, do I need to create a new provisioning profile with the new certificate.

I want to make sure that updating the existing provisioning profile with the new certificate won't break an app that is already installed on devices. There is a delay between when I would update the provisioning profile and when the updated app could be deployed. So I want to make sure I'm not breaking the existing installs during that timeframe.

Thanks

Accepted Reply

Can I update an existing provisioning profile with the new certificate for a deployed app? Or, do I need to create a new provisioning profile with the new certificate.

The latter.

I want to make sure that updating the existing provisioning profile with the new certificate won't break an app that is already installed on devices.

The installed app has its own copy of the profile embedded within the app. As long as that profile remains valid, the app will continue to work. When you install your updated app it’ll have its own updated profile embedded within it, and the system will use that profile to authorise execution of the updated app.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Replies

Can I update an existing provisioning profile with the new certificate for a deployed app? Or, do I need to create a new provisioning profile with the new certificate.

The latter.

I want to make sure that updating the existing provisioning profile with the new certificate won't break an app that is already installed on devices.

The installed app has its own copy of the profile embedded within the app. As long as that profile remains valid, the app will continue to work. When you install your updated app it’ll have its own updated profile embedded within it, and the system will use that profile to authorise execution of the updated app.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

@eskimo - Thank you!