ScreenTime API app rejection 2.5.1

Hi, I use ScreenTime API for proving feature of hiding other installed apps in the iOS device. 
Specifically I set applications I want to hide to this property of ManagedSettingsStore.application.blockedApplications. Documentation to this propery says

The system hides blocked applications and prevents the user from launching them.

There is no any limitations or deprecation labels, api available starting iOS 15.

My app is in the AppStore and works good, but I received reject for app update saying:

The app uses public APIs in an unapproved manner, which does not comply with guideline 2.5.1. Specifically, your app still uses Screentime API to hide apps from user. Since there is no accurate way of predicting how an API may be modified and what effects those modifications may have, unapproved uses of public APIs in apps is not allowed.

This sounds odd to me as feature is documented, not marked as deprecated and confirmed on forum by Apple Engineer it’s available for developers. Additionally I can’t find any public information about “unapproved uses of public APIs” that reviewer refers to.

So there are literally no reason to reject my app as feature is documented and I use it as it's prescribed. The only public requirement for the developers found in Apple Review Guidelines and Apple Developer Program License Agreement is to use public API, there is no term "unapproved uses of public APIs".

After long conversation with reviewer I submitted appeal but review board didn't provide any clarity and declines my appeal with exactly the same response without clarifying situation and referring to 2.5.1 that is actually not applicable.

Looking forward to finding any useful information, experiences from other developers, or clarifications from Apple Engineers.

Accepted Reply

I had a call with a representative from the Apple Review team, and it was mentioned that there is a private list of approved uses for public APIs in the App Store. However, Apple engineers are not aware of this list. They do not make this list public in order not to limit developers' creativity. The only way to determine if your app or idea complies with these rules is to invest your resources in developing the app and submit it for review; there is no other way to know in advance.

I will leave this information without my personal conclusions, so that everyone can draw their own conclusions about the openness and transparency of the App Store's rules.

• In that case, then the api should be private if these so called private use cases only exist with the app review team and are not published on the documentation site.

Add a Comment

Replies

I had a call with a representative from the Apple Review team, and it was mentioned that there is a private list of approved uses for public APIs in the App Store. However, Apple engineers are not aware of this list. They do not make this list public in order not to limit developers' creativity. The only way to determine if your app or idea complies with these rules is to invest your resources in developing the app and submit it for review; there is no other way to know in advance.

I will leave this information without my personal conclusions, so that everyone can draw their own conclusions about the openness and transparency of the App Store's rules.

• In that case, then the api should be private if these so called private use cases only exist with the app review team and are not published on the documentation site.

Add a Comment

HI I meet the same rejection about ScreenTime API app rejection 2.5.1 Did you sovle it ?