Managing app version releases for single Target with different platforms

I have a multiplatform app with a single target. I’ve been focused on making release updates for just visionOS where the new version doesn’t really have any changes to the iOS/iPadOS content. When I build and archive a new version and build number for my single app target, is it an ok practice to only release the new version and build to visionOS and not iOS? The reason I ask, is that the next time I get around to releasing a version and build that has any iOS changes that I want to release on the iOS App Store, it will have skipped one or more version numbers (due to only visionOS releases) from the last time that version was seen on the iOS App Store because I was only doing visionOS releases and versions prior to that.

Answered by DTS Engineer in 789890022

The reason I ask, is that the next time I get around to releasing a version and build that has any iOS changes that I want to release on the iOS App Store, it will have skipped one or more version numbers

I don’t think that’ll be a problem. The App Store requires that your new version be greater than your old version, but it doesn’t require that version numbers be contiguous.

The only potential downside I see is that it might confused your iOS users, but even there I think it’s rare for folks to pay that much attention to version numbers.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Accepted Answer

The reason I ask, is that the next time I get around to releasing a version and build that has any iOS changes that I want to release on the iOS App Store, it will have skipped one or more version numbers

I don’t think that’ll be a problem. The App Store requires that your new version be greater than your old version, but it doesn’t require that version numbers be contiguous.

The only potential downside I see is that it might confused your iOS users, but even there I think it’s rare for folks to pay that much attention to version numbers.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Managing app version releases for single Target with different platforms

Q