MapKit .standard doesn't allow for globe view when zoomed out

Hi, I'm writing because I've been trying to set the .standard map style to render as a globe on an iPhone 15 running iOS 17 when zoomed out similar to how it works in Apple Maps but can't find any resources on how to make that happen as every time it appears as a flat 2D map, much unlike the .hybrid and .satellite types.

I found another thread on this forum a year ago where someone said .standard was bugged and couldn't become a globe, but I'm honestly quite surprised this issue hasn't been brought up more often.

The Apple Maps app isn't just a MapKit view, it's much more than that.

Why do you need it to be a globe? The way MapKit works is by tiling the map data. For a 3D globe it would be a different type of view.

Do you desperately need to see a globe when you zoom out? Isn't the zoomed-out view you currently get okay?

I'd love if you could file a bug report with your needs here, and how having this globe representation of the standard map view would be useful to your app. Once you open the bug report, please post the FB number here for my reference.

If you have any questions about filing a bug report, take a look at Bug Reporting: How and Why?

MapKit .standard doesn't allow for globe view when zoomed out

Q