MacOS Big Sur Lagging

Hello! Help please, after updating the system to Big Sur, my MacBook Pro 13 began to slow down, previously there were no such problems.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
2,7 GHz 2‑core processor Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Seplaz Down vote post of Seplaz
152k views
  • I'm glad it's not just me. Was beginning to think there was something wrong with my Mac. I bought the i9 iMac and really spec'd it out; built to order. But on Big Sur I get stutter animations. If I slowly move my mouse around the cursor is jittery. Almost like it's a bluetooth error but I know it's not. Watching videos and some of them will stutter too. Scrolling stutters. I have to shutdown my computer and restart to clear it up.

And my Apple Wireless Keyboard is not wireless anymore. I have it plugged directly in with a lightning cable because trying to type on it wirelessly would lag and mess up.

This is pretty ridiculous. I hope macOS 12 fixes this.

• It works! mcbkpro 13 late 13 2.4 i5 8G ram BigSur(unfortunately)

• iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB

The 11.5.1 update caused video/trackpad stuttering. I also lost my directly-connected Dell monitor (iMac thunderbolt to Dell DisplayPort) video. Turning off the Dell fixed the stuttering. Moving the thunderbolt connection from the iMac to my CalDigit hub fixed the second monitor issue. Is it possible to update or reset the iMac's thunderbolt port? I've reset the PRAM so far...

` Vendor Name: Apple Inc.

Device Name: iMac

UID: 0x0001001901E3F1E0

Route String: 0

Firmware Version: 28.1

Domain UUID: 3D365C05-5471-5A50-BA61-960AEA98039C

Port:

Link Status: 0x2

Speed: Up to 20 Gb/s x1

Current Link Width: 0x2

Receptacle: 1

Cable Firmware Version: 0.1.22

Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.16.0 `

Replies

same as here. a1502 MacBook early 2015 8g i5 2.7 iris 6100
lagging when maximise window minimise , safari ,apple tv also laggy graphics. clear SMC no fixes.

only 1 fix i found download [easyres] app on app store.
turn off 2x retina resolution n turn on 1x any resolution. my settings are 1x 2048x1280. good desktop size n lag fix.

default size is 1680x1050 with 2x retina
1 x with no laggy is 1650x1050 but vertical blank lines show.

so best fit is 1x 2048x1280
Same issue here....

After Big Sur update the machine is extremely slow on performing basic tasks, such as log into profile, change profiles, and anything which uses graphic card, such as simple gaming in windowed mode and low res, which with Catalina did not happen at all.

Noticed some screen "blanking" on loading from boot:
The load screen background and the screen itself go black and then reappear.

Noticed on switch between existing users, that the computer displays the load icon on the mouse for a few second after showing the new login screen for the user, and after it disappears it takes up to 5 seconds before you are allowed to write the password on the field, almost a "mini lockup" or lagging.

Opening files via Browser such as Safari takes much longer than usual, also data download start seems slower even for small files such as a PDF of 238Kb.

Even text scrolling via cursor keys is slower.

Machine Specifications:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
CPU: 2,5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
RAM: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
GRAPHICS: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
HDD: APPEL SSD SM0512G (free space in HDD 353 GB) - APFS file system

Is there a chance to roll back to Catalina? Big Sur is definitely so very disappointing that I wish I hadn't updated until it was stable enough.

Never had any latency or lag issues with Catalina, or Mojave for instance...

I have the same MacBook, and i had reinstalled the previous version, Catalina.
Now after reading this i'm trying to reinstall Big Sur, i'll keep you updated!
Update: Problem solved for my MBP 16" by doing this:
  • leave beta program with the computer, if i's in

• create a TimeMachine backup if needed

• Reset NVRAM

• Delete SSD

• Reinstall the original MacOS, which came with the Mac by booting with shift-option-command-R (important! Just reinstalling the latest Catalina or Big Sur didn't work for me!)

• Update to BigSur release version - no beta!

• Migrate backup if needed with migration assistant

that's it, hope it helps you too!

edit: I tried to include the links to the support pages from Apple for the steps, but the Forum won't let me. So please search for the according guides in Apple Support to make sure you do the steps right.

Temporary solutions is download easyres app on app store and set the resolution to 2048x1280 with 1x option.

Macbook A1502 Early 2015 8G 2.7 Iris 6100
turning off Automatic Graphics Switching in the battery settings worked for me. I have a 2019 MacBook Pro 16.
I have the same problem on a Macbook Pro 16" 2019 - 2.3 i9.
When I opt the automatic graphics function off, everything turns back to normal.
Apple should really look into this.

Big Sur 11.0.1
Ok guys, going crazy with my new Macbook Pro 13". It's so extremely slow and lagging, even slower then my old 2013 one. You don't expect that when buying a new Macbook....

I follow this thread for weeks and trying everything, but still everything is lagging.
  • Did the SMC reset, not working

• One solution i can't find is the "automatic graphics function" on my mac, it's no where?

Specs:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020)
2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
16 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB

Running right now: Big Sur Version 11.1 beta 20C5048k
Same problem . Supper Lagging ! Apple must resolve this asap.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)
2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
16 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB
Big sur 11.0.1

There is NO option found to uncheck for "Automatic Graphics Switching" in battery !!!

SMC fix worked for me! Hopefully this is something that can happen automatically when they release the next patch.
Same here, I thought it was because I replaced the battery and it was problematic.... but reading this topic and these replies I assume this is a bigger problem.

my Mac is the same,

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
2,7 GHz 2‑core processor Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

on Catalina it was very fast and reliable... now, a lot of lagging and getting the rainbow clock a lot of times...

I hope Apple looks back to those "old MacBooks"

Same problem with:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)
Same problem. Terrible! Big Sur super slowed down my MacBook Pro 13 inch that I just bought this year. Also, my external camera doesn’t work with Big Sur. This thing is ridiculous. Does anyone know how to remove Big Sur so that we can reload it after the bugs are worked out?
Same issue here on iMac 2017 1TB Fusion Drive. I really regret this update so hard, I already waited some weeks and thought now everything should be fine. But as you all reported really long times to boot. Afterwards it works ok I would say but the booting unacceptable slow with up to 10minutes
I have the same issue, MacBook Pro 15” 2016. Slow and lagging even with safari and other native apps.