Volume Hash Mismatch

Hi,

I've installed Monterey Beta 1 .... and then did an OTA update to MR B2.

After the update to MR B2 ... I've started to get this "Volume Hash Mismatch" in my notification center ...

I've tried to reboot into Recovery, and do a "First Aid" an all volumes in my MacBook Air's ssd ...

But this message still re-appears.

Any idea why this happens? or a fix?

cheers, Daniel.

• Am experiencing this issue on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports). Applications crashing regularly. Did a clean install of MacOS Montery incl. re-formatting the disk about half year ago. Also NVRAM reset. Issue disappeared for a month or two but returned (though less crashes than initially till now). Currently running 12.2.1. My Windows machine at the office is more stable :-(

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

[Update 2022-01-29]

macOS 12.2 seems to have a solution for this problem. I've done a complete clean re-install (with re-formating the entire drive).

I've run a 24hr Blackmagic Disk Speed Test, Safari open (the app that most usually made it trigger this issue). Without the issue.

Could more people try 12.2 too? and see if it solved their issue?

• 12.3.1 still does not solve this problem. Very “un-Apple” issue. Reminds me of Windows. Anyone solved this on 12.3.1?

• No , even on 12.4 beta2 the problem still exist.

• I have an MBP 16 2019. I took it to the genius bar they are not able to fix it and sent it to a repair centre. They replace my logic board and Touch ID. So it is more likely the hardware problem.

Replies

What a losers -

I had the same issue with a 2017 iMac 27. At first I was not able to do a clean install of Monterey. Got the same error as above "An error occurred loading the update". Tried everything. Splitting up fusion drive, installing only on blade ssd, only on hd rebuilt Fusion again. Finally I tried taking out one of the ram sticks. No change. Tried replacing the one left in with the first one I took out, and then I finally managed to install Monterey. Installed Office and some other apps. Everything worked fine. Tried installing the possibly faulty RAM, and then the error "Volume Hash Mismatch" appeared. Took out the RAM, and the error never came up again.

[Update 2022-01-29]

macOS 12.2 seems to have a solution for this problem. I've done a complete clean re-install (with re-formating the entire drive).

I've run a 24hr Blackmagic Disk Speed Test, Safari open (the app that most usually made it trigger this issue). Without the issue.

Could more people try 12.2 too? and see if it solved their issue?

• 12.3.1 still does not solve this problem. Very “un-Apple” issue. Reminds me of Windows. Anyone solved this on 12.3.1?

• No , even on 12.4 beta2 the problem still exist.

• I have an MBP 16 2019. I took it to the genius bar they are not able to fix it and sent it to a repair centre. They replace my logic board and Touch ID. So it is more likely the hardware problem.

Hi, for me message started after I installed macOS 12.2

But I think that main problem was that after updating Monterey I installed Big Sur on external drive (my friend needed it). It was immediately after update so don't know will it happened without Big Sur.

First message was showing regularly, every few hours. Then I remember to choose Monterey disk as startup disk again and message disappeared for almost a day. It showed only once. After that i ran Blackmagic disk speed test and it showed 5% slower speed then before. Normal restart made speed normal again (an no more message so far).

Didn't try clean re-install but will do it if message continues to pop-up

Still same problem in 12.2.1

• Have you solved it? If so can you help me via Wechat?

Add a Comment

I've been with this issue for a few months now. I've also downgraded to BigSur which now has other issues (notably multiple kernel panics per day: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/678644 and app crashes). Earlier in this thread people reported that this issue was due to a faulty RAM module, which I didn't believe initially. After I run a memtest86 test I'm now convinced that indeed I also have faulty RAM. In my case I have no option than a motherboard replacement as the RAM is soldered.

So imo the error reported here is a symptom, and different versions of macOS show different symptoms (BigSur v Monterey). But the cause is most probably something hardware related, thus I'd recommend for everyone having this issue running a memtest86 test to check if this is the cause of their problem.

• After running the tool for about three hours, I was unable to find a single error occur during the test, it was completely fine.

My symptoms are that the second the notification pops-up, the whole UI crashes, leaving Half of the menu bar functional, the dock gone, the background/desktop gone, and they won't work until a restart is performed. However, nothing else crashes along with that, and I could continue to use my Mac like that for hours without any more instability, however it is annoying to say the least.

A reinstall didn't help at all, and I've only found one other user online who's had the same symptoms I have. This is on a 2015 MacBook Pro 15", and with Big Sur it was more than fine, I don't understand why Monterey is so buggy. All my family's 2015 machines (13" Air, 13" Pro and 21.5" iMac) do not exhibit any of those problems.

Also this is on Monterey 12.3.1. It was the same on prior versions, but I can attest that since 12.2 It has been happening significantly more frequently, almost daily.

• Interesting, well as I said this error is more of a symptom I think. I'm pretty sure my problem was the RAM, I actually took this to a store and replaced the motherboard more than a month ago. Everything is running smoothly after that without any problems and the mac is completely stable again. But there may be other hardware related causes, like faulty SSD or any of the other circuits ... who knows :)

Add a Comment

I've now faced this issue on two of the 6 total Macs on my household. Neither with any recognizable patterns I could depict to properly find a reason as to why it happens. On my MBP11,5 it crashes the whole UI, and is unable to start again On my iMac14,1 it just shows the notification, however, the OS randomly starts to increasingly become unstable, like Safari being unusable until a restart. The best conclusion thus far has been to perform an SMC/PRAM reset on my Macbook (where it'd frequent itself like 6 or 9 times a day sometimes, all requiring a reboot), and on my iMac it happened a few minutes as I write this, so no conclusive workaround or solution has been necessary for now.

My MacBook has FV2 enabled, but my iMac does not. Both are running 12.3.1, both are running on an SSD (Apple SSD on the iMac, Crucial P2 on my Macbook, which has otherwise worked flawlessly for a while).

On my MacBook It has shown itself since I first installed Monterey, on 12.2 IIRC, and on my iMac it has just appeared now on 12.3.1. I'm sure It's not related (in both of my cases) to RAM, as both have healthy/working RAM, and all temps and usage are low at some points where I have observed the issue.

Re-installs do not help, as I have unfortunately discovered on my MacBook (With a Time Machine backup), nor a full disk-wide wipe of the SSD (Apple SSD on the iMac was previously completely erased off all of its contents).

I look forward on seeing if Apple is able to resolve this frustrating issue, as downgrading is not really an option for me, and the time loss inflicted by having to save projects and restart because I have my UI crash on me or the OS fall apart ain't fun.

• I turn off the bluetooth ,the error does not happen again.Maybe you can try.🤔 I think it's related to bluetooth .Apple changes bluetooth working mode, so it can work for universal control.

Add a Comment

I'm starting to hate Apple. I can't even work now, the emulator often crashes and shows "Volume Hash Mismatch", Monterey stops responding from time to time and restarts automatically frequently. I even wiped the hard drive and reinstalled Monterey , but the problem remains the same. I had to upgrade to Monterey because I had to develop with a new version of Xcode, but the stupid new Xcode need the stupid Monterey!!! I hate Apple, why is this still a serious problem on 12.3.1?!

I am running the latest Monterey 12.4, the problem started after I did a standard update within Monterey. I too encounter the same problem as discussed above.

I have done a memory test using memtest86.com free download to create an USB to test the memory of the computer as there were so many pointers to this.

Here is the result:

Basically test was aborted due to too many errors.

What to do now?????????

I've just had the same message pop up on the weekend - "Volume Hash Mismatch - Hash mismatch detected on volume disk1s5. macOS should be reinstalled on this device". I am running Monterey 12.4 on MacBook Pro (15 inch 2017) with 2.9GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB memory 2133 Mhz LPDDR3, Graphics - Radeon Pro 560 4GB Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB. I have not had any Mac crashes yet.

I have the same error, it just started and I landed here because of google. I did a complete reinstall a few weeks ago. This mac is a brand new install with reformatted hdd.

I had my Mpro 2018 15" Intel I7 32 GB Ram running like I always do and came home from a quick run and when I woke it up the message was there. So nothing I physically did to prompt this because before I left nothing happened, message appeared 3 hrs after I came back.

Also be careful what you say on these boards because Apple censors, deletes and bans users if you talk bad about the brand or say anything about their quality is bad.

Same error, did a diskcheck in repair mode. No problems found. The error DID scare me, it sounded severe, so I started googling and ended up here. But I'm not experiencing any other problems at the moment. Not sure what is going on, but my faith in Apple is dwindling the last years...

Monterey 12.4 on a MacBookPro12,1 Early 2015 - 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

• I have the exact same model and OS on my MacBook Pro as PeterEter. Someone please help us?

Add a Comment

This message has been disappeared since I manually set the Network MTU to 1280. Previously, I could’t install xcode, and Mac was unstable. But It is stable now. Try it and give us feedback.

Of course I don't know why it disappeared.

• and what this action has "corrected" to avoid the error to be repeated?

Add a Comment

Just installed Ventura in iMac 2019 in November 2022. Still have problem. Apple, please fix this. Thank you

Keeping this thread alive since it's still an issue now in 2023.

This is causing major headache with my MacBook Pro 13 M1 16GB 2TB, Ventura 13.3.1.

Symptoms are:

• MacBook hang randomly when booting up
  • Volume Hash Mismatch message pop up randomly when using
  • Can't handle process that require any big file like downloading and installing XCode
  • App randomly crashing and restarting
  • Browser would randomly fail to load a page, requiring a force refresh to get content
  • Can't reinstall the OS since it will fail half way through (This apply to both download Ventura via Wifi, or using USB flash drive)

What I have tried:

• Disk Utility First Aid from Recovery Mode return no error
  • Apple Diagnostics return No issues found with reference Codes: ADP000
  • Disk utility to erase the whole SSD
  • Disk utility to partition SSD into smaller pieces
  • Reinstall via recovery but failed regardless how I partition SSD
  • Reinstall using a second MacBook with Apple Configurator and DFU mode
  • Down grade to Monterey
  • Reinstall latest Ventura
  • Sudo purge via terminal

Anyone else encounter similar issue? It will be nice to have a solution to this. Even if it means cutting away part of the SSD and or RAM. Thought?

Overall, it seems like there's no software fix to this issue for my MBP at this point.

Since warranty just expired, this leaves me with a very unstable machine which is just a couple year old.