iOS 15 beta causing problems with personal hotspot

I updated my iPhone 11 Pro to iOS 15 beta and I think it is causing problems with my personal hotspot.

I live in a rural area with almost no options for decent, home WiFi; my options are DSL and satelite. For the last 8-9 months, I've used my iPhone's hotspot for gaming, streaming, and pretty much everything else. I've had no issues and it has saved me a ton of money!

However, the day I updated my phone to iOS 15 beta, any non-Apple device I connect my hotspot to will not load anything... For example, my PlayStation 5 is able to download software updates and game updates with pretty quick speeds when connected to my hotspot, but it will not allow me to play any games online or pull up any streaming services. It says the connection is too weak. The same thing applies to my Roku that's plugged into my TV in the bedroom. Both of these worked really well before updating.

When I connect my iPad to my hotspot, everything loads incredibly fast.

I've contacted my phone service provider and they've assured me that my cell service is not the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there anyway to fix it?

Thank you!

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of kyleanthony Down vote post of kyleanthony
30k views
  • Anyone find a fix to this....downloaded iOS 15 with the release (9-21-2021) and now my Surface won't connect to the hotspot.....

• I'm having the same issue with a surface. Won't connect to iphone that has been updated to ios 15, but will connect to iphone that is still running ios 14.8. I've tested multiple phones with the same result. pre ios 15 works and ios 15 does not. I've tried all the standard trouble shooting I've seen posted with no luck. If anyone has a fix, I would love to hear it.

• I have the same problem 😳 Any news about a solution?

Replies

I just spoke to Apple Support and this particular tech, I was her first call that shes had regarding an issue with the hotspot no longer working... Hopefully they start to hear it from more and more people to release a patch on fixing this issue. Definitely frustrating.

• The only thing unhelpful reps who know less than I do on how to work hotspot & knew NOTHING about WPA3 tell me to do is complain on apple feedback page. They say if enough people report problems via feedback in apple support the engineers ‘MIGHT’ take notice!?!? I’ve now joined the Apple haters. Will never recommend any Apple device at all.

Add a Comment

Why the f can i buy iphone 13 pro max? Why did I buy this even if I can't use a hotspot with it? This phone is $ 1,500 in Hungary ... and it doesn't know a basic thing !!!

I just want to use the hotspot for Steam to play on my laptop

• Lol lucky you... I am tied to my company's iphone and now not even able to work when no other internet connection is available.

Add a Comment

Update... I was able to successfully connect my Surface Pro 3 via Bluetooth by joining it through a "Personal Area Network."

Not sure if this process is the same with every laptop, but worth a shot. Didn't have to update any wifi drivers...

1. Make sure you are connected via bluetooth to the device in question.
  2. Right click the bluetooth icon and select "Join a Personal Area Network"
  3. Select your device
  4. Select "Connect to device network"

My wifi icon changed from the standard signal bars to a "plug & screen" icon.

Hope this helps.

• I try but still dont work ,my games and steam and etc ...

• Just a quick hungarian response i got from Apple and from our carrier:

Nos, ma felhívtam az apple supportot ahol engem is megerősítettek abban, hogy az ios 15-ös frissítés után a telenor nem használja az ipv4-et csak az ipv6-ot, ezért nem működik szinte semmi olyan program vagy online játék hiába van neted. Már dolgoznak az ügyön a telenor és az apple közösen, szóval csak annyit tudunk tenni mi teleronosak, hogy várunk…

• Köszi az infót… reméljük tényleg megoldódik a probléma

I earlier encountered the same problem when I updated to iOS 15 beta. The solution I found was to downgrade to iOS 14.x, and of course, the alternative way is much easier... retrieve your older iPhone from the garage and use it as a hotspot sharing router.

My iPhone 5s may not seem representable but it's still working and is able to connect my other devices including AirportExpress 1st generation, iPhone 8+, iPhone X, MacbookPro, Apple TV 3rd, iPhone 12 to the internet all at the same time.

By the way, I'd never replaced the iPhone 5s battery so I sometimes place it on an ice pillow.

Few weeks ago my phone was auto updated to OS 15.x and my hotspot started stopping my old devices connecting to it.

After months of this lame upgrade. Here is what I know.

1. apple is clueless about it. Or they act like it.

2. Bluetooth connection instead of WiFi will run less than 1 MB/sec

3. your only way is USB connection to your laptop or desktop and it works super fast.

sadly we have to wait for these apes at Apple to fix it.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of TRKO Down vote reply of TRKO

SOLUTION! SOLUTION! SOLUTION!

Well, I had the same problem, went to Apple where they told me to backup and reset the phone. I won't starting to that procedure so much, so I decide to search for a solution on the net.

I find a lot of things, as resetting network setting, turn on and of flight mode. change and check setting for the cellular network etc. etc. nothing worked.

As least I readed something about, taking your simcard out (fysically or re-install e-sim) to solve the problem.

And guess what!! PROBLEM SOLVED :) I can connect my non-APPLE devices again :) So just try- No you have YES you can get :)

Have a nice day! ;)

• If this is true I would be like what ????

anyone try it ????

• did not work for me

Add a Comment

SOLUTION

The problem is that iOS15 only supports Hotspot wifi connections that have WPA3 encryption. With the update to iOS15 iPhones/iPads will not allow Hotspot connections to any device that has only WPA2/WPA encryption - which older laptops used.

Solution - buy a Wifi USB adaptor that supports WPA3 and plug it in to one of your USB ports on your laptop. You can find them under $40.

for Surface Pro 3 laptops - the default wifi driver does not allow for WPA3 connection. BUT you can see the fix at the Apple Communities
The driver can be updated by following the suggestion there.

• The problem doesn't seem related to WPA3 because some Apple devices that don't support WPA3 are able to connect to the IOS 15 hotspot. I've done successful connection tests from an iPhone 6S (IOS 15, but not support for WPA3) and from an iPhone 6 (IOS 12).

It could be some related to QOS, as xAnon stated in his comment (page 2 in this thread). He said that IOS 9 devices fails and I confirmed this myself with two IOS 9 devices: an iPhone 4S and an iPad 2. From the Pad2 I can connect by bluetooth

Add a Comment

We Shouldn't be forced into purchasing a Wifi USB adaptor that supports WPA3 or going back to using a USB cord. This is crazy, Apple is a global organisation with billions in profits even throughout covid. It is not ok that we cannot roll back IOS upgrades. It is not acceptable! My wifi hotspot was working perfectly until the IOS 15 update. Now my ***** smart phone will not even turn back on. This is just not good enough Apple.

Apple elmehet ezek után a picsába. Köszönjük!

https://youtu.be/tD8fUhPQV3s

https://youtu.be/tD8fUhPQV3s

HERE YOU CAN SOLVE YOUR HOTSPOT PROBLEM OCCURING IN IPHONE 13 PRO MAX.

• So what are you saying ? We need some password for our mobile provider ?

Add a Comment

I have the same issue for about 4 months now. I called apple support and had a 2 hour call where we tried everything. All the basic youtube solutions, all the reset network settings stuff, everything. Nothing worked.

At one point they connected me to an IT manager, they pretended they never heard of this issue, and of course, blamed windows. Luckily I already had the same call with windows support, and we tried with them everything too, every network setup is perfect, everything is updated to the latest.

After I told this to apple IT guy, they finally took me seriously (after 1 hour or so fighting and telling them, it's not my laptop it's their shit).

We just had a new update yesterday, and it is still not solved...unbelievable.

To me it seems 15.2 update finally solved the problem, i just tested it a few minutes ago, and finally steam and netflix is working as it should be while using my iphone with lightning cable connected to my PC…4months for christ sake

• Yup

Add a Comment

I’m on 15.1.1 and now it works !!! 5 months. Apple you suck !!!

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of TRKO Down vote reply of TRKO