Error in installing enterprise build from XCode15 beta to iOS 17 beta OS device

After updating the os to iOS17 beta, not able to install the enterprise app through ipa, it throws error

Error installing '//Downloads/-Internal-Appstore-23.6.5-1.ipa', ERROR: Error Domain=com.apple.dt.CoreDeviceError Code=3002 "Failed to install the app on the device." UserInfo={NSUnderlyingError=0x600019bcc750 {Error Domain=com.apple.dt.CoreDeviceError Code=3000 "The item at -Internal-Appstore-23.6.5-1.ipa is not a valid bundle." UserInfo={NSURL=file:////Downloads/-Internal-Appstore-23.6.5-1.ipa, NSLocalizedDescription=The item at -Internal-Appstore-23.6.5-1.ipa is not a valid bundle., NSLocalizedFailureReason=Failed to read the bundle.}}, NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to install the app on the device., NSURL=file:///Downloads/-Internal-Appstore-23.6.5-1.ipa}

Kindly update on this. Do any code side changes have to be done for this to fix these issue?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Shwetham Down vote post of Shwetham
21k views
  • I reported this as FB12350186.

Add a Comment

Replies

An update on this. I think this is still a little buggy. Sometimes clearing trusted computers works, sometimes it does not. What I've resorted to doing, is downloading and using Xcode 14 to install builds, and that installs builds successfully even builds created by Xcode 15.

• Clearing trusted computers not working for me.
  • Previously I posted this same issue here https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/737286 (was unaware of this thread)
  • From debugging the issue, found that its an issue of memory leak for CoreDeviceService Sandbox (Process that manages device communication)(loglines in above attached post)
  • This same issue is also faced when executing xcuitest with test-without-building flag (Xcode tries to install test app before test execution).
  • Killing CoreDeviceService process or rebooting the host machine instantly resolves the issue but on a downside.
    • All the connection to the device breaks and hence all running xcuitests also breaks.
    • Issue reappears after few xcuitest execution.
  • I was running into the same issue with several Xcode projects. Luckily, clean new projects would install on my devices just fine, and I could compare the two configurations. I tried adjusting various aspects of the project and targets, e.g. Project Format, Localisation, Identity. The change that fixed it in the end was to specify "Bundle name" in the Info.plist:

<key>CFBundleName</key> <string>$(PRODUCT_NAME)</string>

Add a Comment

I was running into the same issue with several Xcode projects. Luckily, clean new projects would install on my devices just fine, and I could compare the two configurations. I tried adjusting various aspects of the project and targets, e.g. Project Format, Localisation, Identity.

The change that fixed it in the end was to specify "Bundle name" in the Info.plist:

<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>$(PRODUCT_NAME)</string>

No, BioDranik's approach did not help me. I've resorted to installing my test versions with Apple Configurator.

I'm having the same problem. Works perfect on on everything expect iOS 17. It's always something with Apple and these releases. BioDranik's approach din't work for me either. Any suggestions ???

Same issue with an ad-hoc build. Resetting trusted computers did not work, installing through Apple Configurator did, though. Will resort to Apple Configurator until this is solved. Haven't tested installing through Xcode 14.

Same result on my end. None of the solutions worked for me. I have filed a ticket through Apple's Feedback assistant with detailed description of the problem. I have also added the link to this thread.

Change the ipa extension to .zip after unpacking the zip a folder with the name payload is created and inside is a file, that file is the one that iOS 17 let me install with xcode 15 from the option devices and emulators of xcode

• Thanks, that's a hell of a hack...it worked. Kinda makes sense - ipa is a bundle.

• THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

• Thanks, I have also tried all other mentioned solutions but this is the only one that is working for some reason!

The solution

A workaround for installing .ipa files on iOS devices is:

Changing the ".ipa" file extension to ".zip" Open/unzip Install the .app file located in resulting "Payload" folder instead

Then go to xCode an install the app.

• Thanks, that's helpful

• Worked for me as well, thans for the solution!

• This worked for me, thanks a million!

Someone posted https://www.reddit.com/r/iOSProgramming/comments/16m9ho2/cant_install_ipa_files_on_device_after_updating/ this workaround, it worked on my iPhone 17.0.3.

Add a Comment

I was having this same problem and I fixed.

My project is localized to different languages. In my infoPlist.strings files for each language I had CFBundleShortVersionString localized.

This was causing problems when uploading a new build to my device & simulator.

I removed this and moved it to the main info.plist.

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key><string>$(MARKETING_VERSION)</string>

This shouldn't be localized.

This worked for me. Hope this helps :)

Just use 'Apple Configurator' instead of Xcode to install on your device and it's working.... until Apple fix this and so many other bugs...

The same issue: xCode 15.0.1 (15A507) + iOS 17.1

When I upgrade my iPhone to version 17 ,I also have this issue。There are two solutions to solve this problem:

1:Distribute this application through H5. 2:Using Apple Configurator to install this *.ipa.

But,my enterprise account is not being renewed.

Here is some information which I hope you all will find to be useful:

Xcode 15 features an all-new device support software stack, and unfortunately support for installing apps as IPA files did not make it into that release. However, support for IPA files is now back as of Xcode 15.1, which is currently in beta. If you have a developer account you can grab it here: https://developer.apple.com/news/releases/

I know some of you don't use beta releases, but in this case you don't actually need to use it. It just needs to be run at least once. Once you download Xcode 15.1, run it once and let it install the additional components when it prompts you. This will update the Core Device components on your system and add the IPA installation support. You can then go back to using Xcode 15.

Please try this out and let us know through Feedback Assistant if you experience any issues. I promise you that we do read the reports.