Xcode 15.0 Release doesn't connect at all iOS 17

Hello, I've been using Xcode 4.3.1 and 15 Beta with my iOS 16.5 and 16.6.1 and no issues occurred.

Yesterday, I got a prompt of Xcode 15.0 Release and I put my Xcode on upgrade, at the same time I noticed that iOS also says that 17.0 is available. I upgraded both.

Now my device is not detected on Xcode, it keeps saying Waiting to connect to XXXX iPhone.

Also says, Previous preparation error: The tunnel connection failed while the system tried to connect to the device. I am using the same WIFI on MAC that i am using on Iphone.

A temporary not so much feasible workaround that i found is:

1. Unpair phone
  2. Disable WIFI put phone on LTE/Mobile Data
  3. Connect via usb cable and MAC detects it and connects to it
  4. But now it only works in Xcode and Android studio installs app but can't run/debug it giving error that run it in Xcode.
  5. As soon as wifi is on, phone gets dc from Xcode as well, (even if USB is connected)

Important*: Connect via network checkbox is gryed out and is checked forever.

What i tried till now:

1. Install all types of Xcode, 14.3.1 (says missing string install an updated version of xcode, but it detects device in all modes just gives this error and doesn't let build anything)

2. Reset Xcode to default/ Delete dereived data/Delete all folders that are crucial in that ~/Library/.../xcode folder i.e. Archieves/products/device suport

3. Netstat/kill usb/kill usbmuxd and what not

4. Put phone on hotspot, connect mac on hotspot try debug (fails)

So, tried everything available on internet and yet still my real device on iOS 17 is not ready so that i can debug in Android studio, while in Xcode on same wifi even with USB cable it doesn't work.

Any suggestions??

• I was having the same problem, for me the fix was to enable Developer Mode on the iPhone.

While making the change, I had my iPhone connected to the Mac using USB cable, not sure if that is required though. On the iPhone change dev mode. Settings --> Privacy & Security --> Developer Mode = ON

The iPhone had to go through a restart, as soon as it restarted Xcode found the iPhone is sync'd and all seemed to work OK.

• This solved it for me. Developer Mode was off on my new iPhone. The phone I had migrated from was running iOS 15, which predates the Developer Mode setting.

• I also had this problem, and I had Developer Mode turned on. But after upgrading to iOS 17 my phone wouldn't connect to XCode 15.0.1. I turned off Developer Mode and turned it back on. After following all of the prompts. After the restart of my phone, it connected to XCode.

Accepted Reply

Disabling "Multipath Networking" in Settings>Developer on the iPhone did the trick for me. Running iOS 17.1 (21B74) and XCode Version 15.0.1 (15A507)

• This was the final solution for me, I have tried with all previous solutions but this one finally solved it. I even checked this several times I mean, once I checked it worked I reset all to the initial issue state, removed my device from iOS DeviceSupport, unpaired the device from Xcode and Cleared trusted computers from device... and set the Multipath Networking to Interactive and the device didn't connect to Xcode... once I disabled the Multipath Networking it syncing as expected.

• Where were u all this time :) Thank you for posting this solution, it works i.e. it allows phone to be connected to MAC without any issue and i can use phone in XCODE for development. But no success for Android Studio, it keeps saying "Could not run build/ios/iphoneos/Runner.app on xxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Try launching Xcode and selecting Product < Run to fix the problem. And to my suprize it works on Xcode and not on Android Studio. I guess i have to post a new issue for this purpose.

Thanks.

• That works for me

Add a Comment

Replies

I have the same with iPhone 13 Pro. Xcode 15 keeps saying "The tunnel connection failed while the system tried to connect to the device." Tho, another iPhone works with no issue.

Hi, I had a similar issue with my iPhone and Xcode, even when the phone was connected to the Mac via USB cable still had issues. For me what worked was to close the VPN client. Once the VPN client is closed, I could debug over USB without problem.

Another colleague had even worst issues where the Xcode did not recognise his phone even has been trusted. After trying to unpair the phone he couldn't pair it again anymore. Killing usbmuxd seems to do nothing for that problem. For him, remove all Xcode cached directories and rebooting the system seemed to get it somehow. But then started experiencing extreme slowness while debugging.

Even on my personal computer where I don't use VPN had some glitches and issues while trying to get all to work.

As always Apple did a terrible testing job when releasing new OS and tools, I can't understand how they keep repeating the same mistakes year after year.

So as a short summary:

• Ensure you don't have a VPN connection active while debugging neither on the iOS or Mac
  • If still having issues with it, clean DerivatedData and reboot the Mac.

Those steps seemed to work fine for me and my colleague. I hope this helps you too.

• It works, thanks)) 🙏

• It also works for me, thanks 👍

• This solved it for me.

I turned off NordVPN on my iPhone and then it connected. Once it was connected, I was able to turn on NordVPN again without any issues. I was connected via USB cable.

Add a Comment

Same issue here, "Waiting to connect to *** iPhone." I cannot get my iPhone, iPad, or my watch to connect. Doesn't work wirelessly and doesn't work with USB. No VPN involved. I've tried several "fixes" posted around but none have made a difference. Was hopeful upgrading to iOS 17.01 might help but it did not. Please post if you find a solution.

• I am using iOS 17.0.1 and Xcode 15 (not beta). Lucky me the combination is deadly. I got the message is "Waiting to reconnect to *** iPhone". I got this fancier message with "reconnect" not "connect" since it keeps trying...

• Experienced this issue too. iOS 17.2.1. XCode 15.1.

No VPN whatsoever and everything I've tried for the past 5 hours doesn't work.

iOS 16 are fine though, but what I need is iOS 17...

Add a Comment

Encountered same problem. I have tried all the posted solutions including reset my device but none of them work. The complete issue log is:

The tunnel connection failed while the system tried to connect to the device. Domain: com.apple.dt.DVTCoreDevice Code: 4 Failure Reason: The tunnel connection failed while the system tried to connect to the device. User Info: { DVTErrorCreationDateKey = "2023-09-26 07:58:13 +0000"; "com.apple.dt.DVTCoreDevice.operationName" = connect; }

The tunnel connection failed while the system tried to connect to the device. Domain: com.apple.dt.RemotePairingError Code: 4

System Information

macOS Version 13.6 (Build 22G120) Xcode 14.3.1 (21815) (Build 14E300c) Timestamp: 2023-09-26T15:58:13+08:00

• Is anyone running any port filters other than VPN like ZScaler?

Add a Comment

I am also experiencing this issue. None of the above mentioned tips have worked for me.

Same issue — Impossible to connect the iPhone iOS 17 to Xcode 15

I have uninstalled FortiClient on both the MacBook Pro (macOS 14.1 Beta build 23B5046f) and the iPhone (iOS 17.1 build 21B5045h), cleaned DerivatedData, rebooted the Mac and the iPhone, re-established the trust between both devices. The problem remains while I do not encounter issues to connect an iPad running iPadOS 16.x.

The Devices and Simulators window is even empty!

• Hello {@Apple, @eskimo, @Frameworks, @Quinn},

When a VPN session is live, then device discovery for iOS 17 and Xcode fails. This doesn't happen for older iOS versions.

Add a Comment

Same issue here, I have disabled VPN, Firewall, etc and still not connecting to iOS 17 device, with iOS 16 devices everything works just fine.

Same issue

I am also unable to develop, run & test with latest Xcode 15 on devices running iOS 17 (tried both 17.0.2 and 17.0.3). Unfortunately, I do not have other devices which still run iOS16 :/ Error message in my case:

I also tried all of the following:

• Rebooting phones
  • Rebooting Macbook
  • Updating vom iOS 17.0.2 to 17.0.3
  • Deleting / Wiping Xcode & fresh install
  • Multiple unpair/pair retries

No luck so far.

• I have same issue and been wondering whats wrong or what could be

Add a Comment

Same issue. Tried all above and still cannot connect iPhone 15 to Xcode 15.

Same issue here.

Ok, it seemed to be fixed for me after a disabled wifi, and then went into settings on the phone and cleared trusted computers, then I said ok to trusting the computer again.

I have same issue anyone with any solution how to handle this. i am even thinking of downgrading mac and x code

So I tried all the above and it seems not to work still. But I've noticed on some rare occasions on my work wifi when the cable connected to my Mac, Xcode 15 connects to my iPhone (iOS17) and I'm able to debug, run and test apps.

I'm a relatively new developer and this has slowed down progress on an app I am working on. Is this a regular yearly occurrence?

Same issue here