macOS Widgets won't launch with app group set

i'm working on an app which shares a swiftdata database between the main app and its widgets. prior to the sequoia/xcode 16 betas this was working fine with setting the same app group for app & widget targets.

however, now whenever i try to run my main app from Xcode i get a user permission requestor saying "<app name> would like to access data from other apps.". this happens every time i run it.

whenever the widget is started (via trying to place it on the desktop, or the widgetkit simulator etc) it exits immediately (i assume because it can't show the permission requestor?)

if i disable the app group for the widget, it runs.. however, of course, i can't access the main app's database.

i'm on sequoia beta 2 (24A5279h) and Xcode 16 beta 2 (16A5171r)

note: while the widgetkit simulator is now present in sequoia beta 2, i haven't actually been able to successfully use it

I have almost the same issue. It looks like in Sequoia, you no longer can start your group folder name with group. You have to use your team identifier instead to avoid the dialog you are getting.

Hopefully this is something that gets corrected in future betas as I think it is going to impact a fair number of apps. The RSS reader Unread was also hit with this change. You can read about it on the Golden Hill Software blog.

Our engineering teams need to investigate this issue, as resolution may involve changes to Apple's software. I'd greatly appreciate it if you could open a bug report, include a sample project and sysdiagnose, and post the FB number here once you do.

Bug Reporting: How and Why? has tips on creating your bug report.

Rico
WWDR - Software Engineer

macOS Widgets won't launch with app group set

Q