Electron app failed app review on OS 13.4

Hi, I recently submitted an electron application to the app store, and the review failed Guideline 2.1 for App Completeness because it's crashing on macOS 13.4.

I'm unable to replicate the issue on my machine (the app works without crashing a 13.5 M1 and 10.14 x64). I'm using electron-builder to build the app, codesigning with the codesign command, and then building the pkg with productbuild.

The error logs we were given are proving to be very hard to decipher for me - I've attached an abridged version of one of the .ips files (since we can't upload ips files) we were given.

Thanks to anyone who can help! I can provide more info/logs if needed.

To receive the most efficient support for this issue, we recommend contacting Apple Developer Technical Support, who can provide code-level support for Apple frameworks, APIs, and tools. Contact them directly by filing a Technical Support Incident at https://developer.apple.com/support/technical/

That’s good advice in general but in this case I think you can make some progress on your own. Your crash report shows this:

Exception Type:        EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

This usually means that you’ve hit a trap within your process, where the code has detected some sort of internal failure and deliberately crashed itself.

The code in question is this:

Thread 21 Crashed:: ThreadPoolSingleThreadForegroundBlocking0
0   Electron Framework      … v8::internal::SetupIsolateDelegate::SetupHeap(v8::internal::Heap*) + 16030660
1   Electron Framework      … v8::internal::SetupIsolateDelegate::SetupHeap(v8::internal::Heap*) + 16029952
2   Electron Framework      … v8::internal::SetupIsolateDelegate::SetupHeap(v8::internal::Heap*) + 16604144
3   Electron Framework      … v8::internal::SetupIsolateDelegate::SetupHeap(v8::internal::Heap*) + 16605476
4   Electron Framework      … v8::internal::SetupIsolateDelegate::SetupHeap(v8::internal::Heap*) + 16604464
5   Electron Framework      … v8::internal::SetupIsolateDelegate::SetupHeap(v8::internal::Heap*) + 16629840
6   Electron Framework      … v8::internal::SetupIsolateDelegate::SetupHeap(v8::internal::Heap*) + 8374556
7   Electron Framework      … v8::internal::SetupIsolateDelegate::SetupHeap(v8::internal::Heap*) + 3630360
8   Electron Framework      … v8::internal::SetupIsolateDelegate::SetupHeap(v8::internal::Heap*) + 16272792
9   Electron Framework      … v8::internal::SetupIsolateDelegate::SetupHeap(v8::internal::Heap*) + 16413112
10  Electron Framework      … v8::internal::SetupIsolateDelegate::SetupHeap(v8::internal::Heap*) + 16414448
11  Electron Framework      … v8::internal::SetupIsolateDelegate::SetupHeap(v8::internal::Heap*) + 16412096
12  Electron Framework      … v8::internal::SetupIsolateDelegate::SetupHeap(v8::internal::Heap*) + 16411380
13  Electron Framework      … v8::internal::SetupIsolateDelegate::SetupHeap(v8::internal::Heap*) + 16462680
14  Electron Framework      … v8::internal::SetupIsolateDelegate::SetupHeap(v8::internal::Heap*) + 16462264
15  Electron Framework      … v8::internal::SetupIsolateDelegate::SetupHeap(v8::internal::Heap*) + 16462008
16  Electron Framework      … v8::internal::SetupIsolateDelegate::SetupHeap(v8::internal::Heap*) + 16593436
17  libsystem_pthread.dylib … _pthread_start + 148
18  libsystem_pthread.dylib … thread_start + 8

The large symbol offsets — for example, in frame 0 the offset is + 16030660 — mean that the specific symbol name is probably irrelevant. To make progress with this you’ll have to symbolicate your crash report to uncover the real identity of the code that trapped.

For general advice on how to do that, see Adding Identifiable Symbol Names to a Crash Report. However, it’s likely you’ll need to work with your third-party tooling vendor to get the .dSYM files for this framework.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Electron app failed app review on OS 13.4

Q