Discuss the different user interface frameworks available for your app.

All subtopics

Replies

Boosts

Views

Activity

UI Binding Issue with Consecutive Modal Prompts on Latest iOS Versions
Hi team, Currently, I am using two Modal prompts consecutively to display force update popups based on a condition. However, there's an issue where the UI thread is occasionally not binding properly after dismissing the first prompt. Please ensure that after dismissing the first prompt, the second prompt is not bound. After reviewing everything, I understand this is an iOS core library binding issue and it's occurring from the latest iOS version onwards. Could you please provide me with a solution to resolve this issue? Thank you!
2d
NavigationBar Back Button Color
I am trying to change the colour of the "Back" from blue to white but having difficulty do so, if anyone can suggest me a better way to do it would be grateful. "import UIKit class AppDelegate: UIResponder, UIApplicationDelegate { var window: UIWindow? func application(_ application: UIApplication, didFinishLaunchingWithOptions launchOptions: [UIApplication.LaunchOptionsKey: Any]?) -> Bool { let appearance = UINavigationBarAppearance() appearance.configureWithOpaqueBackground() appearance.backgroundColor = UIColor(red: 0.216, green: 0.776, blue: 0.349, alpha: 1) appearance.titleTextAttributes = [.foregroundColor: UIColor.white] appearance.largeTitleTextAttributes = [.foregroundColor: UIColor.white] UINavigationBar.appearance().standardAppearance = appearance UINavigationBar.appearance().scrollEdgeAppearance = appearance UINavigationBar.appearance().tintColor = .white return true } }"
1w
Delete button in default NSSavePanel for new document
I just noticed that when closing a new document with edits in MacOS Sonoma that it skips the Save/Don't Save/Cancel panel and goes directly to default NSSavePanel with Delete/Cancel/Save buttons. The problem is that when I click "Delete" nothing happens. It should have simple solution, but I could not find anything. How does one respond to the "Delete" button? My undocumented (as far as I can tell) hack was to implement document:didSave:contextinfo selector for runModalSavePanelForSaveOperation. It appears that in this method for a new document: Delete button has didSave=YES (even though it did not save) and the document fileURL nil Cancel button has didSave=NO and document fileURL nil Save button has didSave=YES and document filieURL to saved file I can handle Delete button this way, but since it is not a documented method, it make me uncomfortable. For example what happens is user clicks "Save", but the save has an error? As an aside, since Apple is now working with ChatGPT, I thought it might provide some help. I asked it how I can respond to "Delete" button in MacOS Sonoma and it said to implement deleteDocument: in your NSDocument subclass. I pointed out to ChatGPT that deleteDocument: does not exist. It said "you are correct" and you should instead check the returned result from runModalSavePanelForSaveOperation and look for "stop" action. I pointed out to ChatGPT that runModalSavePanelForSaveOperation is void and does not return a result, it said again, "you are correct." It gave a third option which basically said to override runModalSavePanelForSaveOperation and build your own save panel from scratch. I didn't know if I should trust this answer. I reverted to my hack and wrote this post. Also ChatGPT never apologized for wasting my time with the wrong answers.
1w
UIView can't handle external keyboard shortcuts combined with Command key (UIKeyCommand)
Keyboard shortcuts that use the Command key modifier are not handled properly, and the UIKeyCommand action and pressesBegan and pressesEnded methods are not called at all or are called unreliably. It is easy to reproduce using this snippet: class ViewController: UIViewController { override func viewDidLoad() { super.viewDidLoad() let textView = MyTextView() textView.font = UIFont.systemFont(ofSize: 24) textView.text = "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec efficitur eros vitae dui consectetur molestie. Integer sed massa rutrum, pharetra orci eget, molestie sem. Fusce vestibulum massa nisi, vitae viverra purus condimentum et. Sed nec turpis aliquam, tempus enim sit amet, gravida libero. Praesent scelerisque venenatis nunc, vel convallis nisl auctor vitae. Mauris malesuada tempus pharetra. Nullam ornare venenatis ullamcorper. In viverra feugiat tincidunt. Nullam iaculis urna eu semper rutrum. " textView.isEditable = true textView.translatesAutoresizingMaskIntoConstraints = false view.addSubview(textView) NSLayoutConstraint.activate([ textView.topAnchor.constraint(equalTo: view.safeAreaLayoutGuide.topAnchor), textView.bottomAnchor.constraint(equalTo: view.bottomAnchor), textView.leadingAnchor.constraint(equalTo: view.leadingAnchor), textView.trailingAnchor.constraint(equalTo: view.trailingAnchor) ]) } } class MyTextView: UITextView { override var keyCommands: [UIKeyCommand]? { [ UIKeyCommand(input: "[", modifierFlags: .command, action: #selector(commandAction(_:))) ] } override func pressesBegan(_ presses: Set<UIPress>, with event: UIPressesEvent?) { print("pressesBegan") super.pressesBegan(presses, with: event) } override func pressesEnded(_ presses: Set<UIPress>, with event: UIPressesEvent?) { print("pressesEnded") super.pressesEnded(presses, with: event) } @objc private func commandAction(_ sender: Any?) { print("commandAction") } } Run the code in a Simulator or on a Device with an external keyboard connected. Observe the console for a string "commandAction" when pressing the combination Command + [ on the keyboard. Result it not predictable, the UIKeyCommand is not called at all, or called in a loop, or sometimes called after change selection in the UITextView. The same with pressesBegan and pressesEnded. Compare results with the change where instead of Command modifier, we use Control modifier eg.: "UIKeyCommand(input: "[", modifierFlags: .command, action: #selector(commandAction(_:))" - now each keyboard shortcut is properly reported to methods. The UIKeyCommand.wantsPriorityOverSystemBehavior property changes nothing. Behavior reproducible in the Simulator and on the Device (iPad) (the issue was confirmed during online WWDC24 Labs) Reported as FB13897415
1w
How to replicate UIImageView's `scaleAspectFill` for Images inside a custom Layout?
I've defined a custom layout container by having a struct conform to Layout and implementing the appropriate methods, and it works as expected. The problem comes when trying to display Image, as they are shown squished when just using the .resizable() view modifier, not filling the container when using .scaledToFit() or extending outside of the expected bounds when using .scaledToFill(). I understand that this is the intended behaviour of these modifiers, but I would like to replicate UIImageView's scaledAspectFill. I know that this can usually be achieved by doing: Image("adriana-wide") .resizable() .scaledToFill() .frame(width: 200, height: 200) .clipped() But hardcoding the frame like that defeats the purpose of using the Layout, plus I wouldn't have direct access to the correct sizes, either. The only way I've managed to make it work is by having a GeometryReader per image, so that the expected frame size is known and can bet set, but this is cumbersome and not really reusable. GalleryGridLayout() { GeometryReader { geometry in Image("adriana-wide") .resizable() .scaledToFill() .frame(width: geometry.size.width, height: geometry.size.height) .clipped() } [...] } Is there a more elegant, and presumably efficient as well as reusable, way of achieving the desired behaviour? Here's the code of the Layout.
2w
Can't Select UITextField in UITableView
Summary Hello Apple Developers, I've made a custom UITableViewCell that includes a UITextField and UILabel. When I run the simulation the UITableViewCells pop up with the UILabel and the UITextField, but the UITextField isn't clickable so the user can't enter information. Please help me figure out the problem. Thank You! Sampson What I want: What I have: Screenshot Details: As you can see when I tap on the cell the UITextField isn't selected. I even added placeholder text to the UITextField to see if I am selecting the UITextField and the keyboard just isn't popping up, but still nothing. Relevant Code: UHTextField import UIKit class UHTextField: UITextField { override init(frame: CGRect) { super.init(frame: frame) configure() } required init?(coder: NSCoder) { fatalError("init(coder:) has not been implemented") } convenience init(placeholder: String) { self.init(frame: .zero) self.placeholder = placeholder } private func configure() { translatesAutoresizingMaskIntoConstraints = false borderStyle = .none textColor = .label tintColor = .blue textAlignment = .left font = UIFont.preferredFont(forTextStyle: .body) adjustsFontSizeToFitWidth = true minimumFontSize = 12 backgroundColor = .tertiarySystemBackground autocorrectionType = .no } } UHTableTextFieldCell import UIKit class UHTableTextFieldCell: UITableViewCell, UITextFieldDelegate { static let reuseID = "TextFieldCell" let titleLabel = UHTitleLabel(textAlignment: .center, fontSize: 16, textColor: .label) let tableTextField = UHTextField() override init(style: UITableViewCell.CellStyle, reuseIdentifier: String?) { super.init(style: style, reuseIdentifier: reuseIdentifier) configure() } required init?(coder: NSCoder) { fatalError("init(coder:) has not been implemented") } func set(title: String) { titleLabel.text = title tableTextField.placeholder = "Enter " + title } private func configure() { addSubviews(titleLabel, tableTextField) let padding: CGFloat = 12 NSLayoutConstraint.activate([ titleLabel.centerYAnchor.constraint(equalTo: centerYAnchor), titleLabel.leadingAnchor.constraint(equalTo: leadingAnchor, constant: padding), titleLabel.heightAnchor.constraint(equalToConstant: 20), titleLabel.widthAnchor.constraint(equalToConstant: 80), tableTextField.centerYAnchor.constraint(equalTo: centerYAnchor), tableTextField.leadingAnchor.constraint(equalTo: titleLabel.trailingAnchor, constant: 24), tableTextField.trailingAnchor.constraint(equalTo: trailingAnchor, constant: -padding), tableTextField.heightAnchor.constraint(equalToConstant: 20) ]) } } LoginViewController class LoginViewController: UIViewController, UITextFieldDelegate { let tableView = UITableView() let loginTableTitle = ["Username", "Password"] override func viewDidLoad() { super.viewDidLoad() configureTableView() updateUI() createDismissKeyboardTapGesture() } func createDismissKeyboardTapGesture() { // create the tap gesture recognizer let tap = UITapGestureRecognizer(target: self.view, action: #selector(UIView.endEditing)) // add it to the view (Could also add this to an image or anything) view.addGestureRecognizer(tap) } func configureTableView() { view.addSubview(tableView) tableView.layer.borderWidth = 1 tableView.layer.borderColor = UIColor.systemBackground.cgColor tableView.layer.cornerRadius = 10 tableView.clipsToBounds = true tableView.rowHeight = 44 tableView.delegate = self tableView.dataSource = self tableView.translatesAutoresizingMaskIntoConstraints = false tableView.removeExcessCells() NSLayoutConstraint.activate([ tableView.topAnchor.constraint(equalTo: loginTitleLabel.bottomAnchor, constant: padding), tableView.leadingAnchor.constraint(equalTo: view.leadingAnchor, constant: padding), tableView.trailingAnchor.constraint(equalTo: view.trailingAnchor, constant: -padding), tableView.heightAnchor.constraint(equalToConstant: 88) ]) tableView.register(UHTableTextFieldCell.self, forCellReuseIdentifier: UHTableTextFieldCell.reuseID) } func updateUI() { DispatchQueue.main.async { self.tableView.reloadData() self.view.bringSubviewToFront(self.tableView) } } } extension LoginViewController: UITableViewDelegate, UITableViewDataSource{ func tableView(_ tableView: UITableView, numberOfRowsInSection section: Int) -> Int { return 2 } func tableView(_ tableView: UITableView, cellForRowAt indexPath: IndexPath) -> UITableViewCell { let cell = tableView.dequeueReusableCell(withIdentifier: UHTableTextFieldCell.reuseID, for: indexPath) as! UHTableTextFieldCell let titles = loginTableTitle[indexPath.row] cell.set(title: titles) cell.titleLabel.font = UIFont.systemFont(ofSize: 16, weight: .bold) cell.tableTextField.delegate = self return cell } } Again thank you all so much for your help. If you need more clarification on this let me know.
May ’24
initWithURL vs initWithBundleIdentifier giving different permissions
I am directed from https://discuss.appium.io/t/create-multiple-instances-of-the-same-app/41266/14?u=lxnm, the context is that Appium max2 driver is implementing the activating of MacOS app using XCTest API methods. There are 2 ways to implement the activating of the app, using app path (calling initWithURL) and bundle id (calling initWithBundleIdentifier). This pull request shows how the XCTest methods are called when using the Mac2 driver, specifically in the file WebDriverAgentMac/WebDriverAgentLib/Routing/FBSession.m. The problem is that I am able to launch my MacOS app(it is a company app) using bundle id, but when I launch the app with app path, I receive XcodeBuild errors: [WebDriverAgentMac] [xcodebuild] XCTExpectFailure: matcher accepted Assertion Failure: Failed to launch com.company.companyApp: You do not have permission to run the application “companyApp”. You don’t have permission. To view or change permissions, select the item in the Finder and choose File > Get Info. (Underlying Error: The operation couldn’t be completed. Operation not permitted) I followed this to enable R+W permissions to all users, but the same error is displayed.
Jan ’24
C# Cocoa app, button images stretched
Hi, One of my developers has upgraded their office Mac to Sonoma. The app we build has a WPF Windows UI layer, GTK for Linux and Cocoa for Mac, the code being written in C#. On Ventura, it builds and works fine. However, since he's upgraded his Mac to Sonoma, all the images on buttons are stretched to take up the whole size of the button, rather than the position stated, with text underneath. I can't share a screenshot here - it's an internal build not for customer or public use. The following mockups demonstrate what we're seeing: Code built on Sonoma Exact same code built on Ventura Any suggestions?
Oct ’23
Full Screen Cover and iPhone Orientation
Currently, there seems to be an all or nothing approach to supporting rotation on iPhone. Either every screen in your UI supports rotation, or none of them do. For a some apps however, that approach won't work. They have a number of screens that don't adapt well to a super letterboxed screen size, and a number of others that would benefit from the additional screen space. Previous discussion on this issue recommends the use of size classes, but this advice fails to recognise that some use cases simply aren't suited to being super letterboxed. Apple's own UI design is tacit acknowledgement of this: For example, the main UI of the Camera app stays fixed in the portrait orientation in the shooting mode, but presents a rotatable modal to review photos and videos. Even Springboard, the home screen of the iPhone, remains locked in the portrait orientation whilst allowing an app to be presented in landscape. Social media and news apps are another example: generally anchored around a portrait newsfeed that doesn't adapt well to extreme letterboxing, but surfacing rich media such as images, videos, charts and other interactive elements that could use the flexibility of landscape presentation. (News app, looking at you.) Is it time to re-visit the rotation characteristics of the phone vs. tablet idioms? Is this all-or-nothing approach to rotation serving the platform well? Regardless, app designers at Apple and elsewhere are creating apps that use this hybrid approach to rotation. And as things stand today, SwiftUI makes it very difficult. A rough equivalent can be made using a ZStack and observing the device orientation, but this requires hiding the status bar and provides no way to honor a user's portrait lock settings. The only other option, as far as I can tell, is building the app using UIKit view controllers, to thread through supportedInterfaceOrientations hooks. Personally, what I'd love to see is a new presentationInterfaceOrientations(_:) hook on View, that allows a fullScreenCover presentation to be specified as supporting an alternative orientation set. This could be iPhone only, and should serve the majority of use cases. However, in the meantime, it would be great to know if there's a technique that can get the UIKit behavior in a SwiftUI app that doesn't require rewriting the entire container view hierachy in UIKit.
Oct ’23
Autosaving NSDocument memory leak with NSWindow and NSToolbar - NSDocumentTitlebarPopoverViewController leaks
I think I have found a Cocoa memory leak that is resulting in my NSDocuments being retained after they have been closed by the user. I am posting here to see if anyone else has encountered this, and if so, what solutions might be available. Essentially, when you have an Autosaving NSDocument that opens an NSWindow containing an NSToolbar the default 'Unified' toolbar style places the Document title to the left of the Toolbar. When the titlebar is laid out like this, there is a clickable area to the right of the title. If the user clicks in this area a log error appears that reads '[Document] Popover failed to show' This seems harmless enough, but in actual fact a memory leak has occurred with the 'NSDocumentTitlebarPopoverViewController' that has failed to show. This View Controller is retained, and unfortunately it contains a strong reference to the NSDocument. So the entire NSDocument instance is also retained. Here is a screenshot of the clickable area: Here is a link to a minimum reproducible example, hosted on GitHub. It is just a template Document Based App with an added Toolbar and a print statement in the Deinit of the Document so you can see if it deinits successfully. Searching online for the '[Document] Popover failed to show' log message doesn't yield any results, nor does searching for the leaking View Controller class name ('NSDocumentTitlebarPopoverViewController').
Oct ’23
SwiftUI BottomBar Toolbar on parent view breaks leading navigation swipe on iOS 17.0
After Updating my app to iOS 17.0 I noticed some odd behavior when swiping a detail view away with a parent view that has a toolbar with a ToolbarItem(placement: .bottomBar). As the user starts a leading swipe gesture to navigate back to the previous view the parent navigation title strangely animates to the center and the leading nav bar button disappears. If the user stops this gesture at any point before completing the swipe they will be stuck in the detail view as the leading nav button has disappeared. This only seems to be an issue if one attempts to swipe back to the parent view and not when the leading nav button is tapped. The following is the minimum code to reproduce this issue for me. I am testing on a physical device on iOS 17.0 with Xcode Version 15.0 (15A240d). struct ToolbarIssueView: View { var body: some View { NavigationStack { NavigationLink { Text("Detail View") .navigationTitle("Detail") } label: { Text("To Detail View") } .toolbar { // This seems to cause strange behavior ToolbarItem(placement: .bottomBar) { Text("Bottom Bar Content") } } .navigationTitle("Main") } } } I understand that this bottom bar could easily be replaced with a .safeAreaInset(edges: .bottom) but I would prefer to use the more standard ToolbarItem(placement: .bottomBar). If anyone has any fixes for this issue or know what I am missing I would love to hear it!
Oct ’23
DiffableDataSource failing to reconfigure cell
I keep getting random crashes, when attempting to reconfigure an existing item. I check immediately for that if the item identifier exists in the data source and do not attempt to configure it if it's not. This is there error message: "Attempted to reconfigure item identifier that does not exist in the snapshot: ..." Fatal Exception: NSInternalInconsistencyException 0 CoreFoundation 0x9cb4 __exceptionPreprocess 1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x183d0 objc_exception_throw 2 Foundation 0x4e154c _userInfoForFileAndLine 3 UIKitCore 0xa44a8 -[__UIDiffableDataSourceSnapshot _validateReloadUpdateThrowingIfNeeded:] 4 UIKitCore 0xa2ed8 -[__UIDiffableDataSourceSnapshot _commitUpdateAtomic:] 5 UIKitCore 0x561048 -[__UIDiffableDataSourceSnapshot reconfigureItemsWithIdentifiers:] 6 libswiftUIKit.dylib 0x35d0c NSDiffableDataSourceSnapshot.deleteItems(_:) 7 Trulia 0x45380c closure #1 in ActivityFeedV3ViewController.updateUI(for:) 8 Trulia 0x4c4f58 thunk for @escaping @callee_guaranteed () -> () (<compiler-generated>)
Sep ’23
WWDC21 Building a Great App: Export fails
Yes, I know WWDC21 was a long time ago but here it is August 2023 and I am looking at the "Building a Great App with SwiftUI. Following along with the Session 1 and 2 videos, I get to the part where you add an Export command. Only, the Export dialog does not appear. The "completed" session 2 source also fails to display an Export dialog. In fact there appears to be no definition for an Export view. I've searched the web, including the Apple forum, for this problem but it looks like no one has encountered this bug. Did anyone ever get this Great App to work?
Aug ’23