Build captivating gaming experiences for Apple platforms.

All subtopics

Replies

Boosts

Views

Activity

Xbox controller and visionOS 2
I am having problems getting button input from an Xbox game controller. I have the visionOS 2 beta on my Apple Vision Pro, and I am trying to use an Xbox game controller with a RealityView following the instructions from the WWDC session Explore game input in visionOS. The notification about a game controller is picking up the game controller, finds GCInputButtonA, and I am setting closures for touchedChangedHandler, pressedChangedHandler, and valueChangedHandler that just print an os_log statement. buttonA.valueChangedHandler = { button, value, pressed in os_log("Got valueChangedHandler") } At the end of RealityView, I have the modifier RealityView { content in // stuff } .handlesGameControllerEvents(matching: .gamepad) But I am never seeing the log message appear in the console when I press the 'A' button (or any other button). Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? The Xbox controller is pretty old. Settings is reporting it as version 9.0.3
1w
SF Symbol License
Hi all, I am a UI/UX designer working on several commercial projects, and I have a few questions that I need you to answer: Can I use the icons from your SF Symbols set in my application? This is a SAAS application and is used on various platforms such as macOS and Windows. Is SF Symbols only allowed for use in applications running on Apple platforms? Meaning, if my application is used on a MacBook or iPhone, am I allowed to use your icon set? If usage is not permitted on platforms other than Apple’s, how can I legally use them on those platforms? Does Apple sell licenses for using SF Symbols on other platforms? If so, what is the cost? Looking forward to your response.
2w
Eye Tracking as a General API Feature for iPadOS 18+?
I'd like to use the eye tracking feature in the latest iPadOS 18 update as more than an accessibility feature. i.e. another input modality that can be detected by event + enum checks similar to how we can detect and distinguish between touches and Apple pencil inputs. This might make it a lot easier to control and interact with iPad-based AR experiences that involve walking around, regardless of whether eye-tracking is enabled for accessibility. When walking, it's challenging to hold the device and interact with the screen with touch or pencil at all. Eye tracking + speech as input modalities could assist here. Also, this would help us create non-immersive AR experiences that parallel visionOS experiences that use eye tracking. I propose an API option for enabling eye-tracking (and an optional calibration dialogue within-app), as well as a specific UIControl class that simply detect when the eye looks at the control using the standard (begin/changed/end) events. My specific use case is that I'd like to treat eye-tracking-enabled UI elements or game objects differently depending on whether something is looked at with the eyes. For example, to select game objects while using speech recognition, suppose we have 4 buttons with the same name in 4 corners of the screen. Call them "corner" buttons. If I have my proposed invisible UI element for gaze detection, I can create 4 large rectangular regions on the screen. Then if the user says "select the corner" the system could parse this command and disambiguate between the 4 corners by checking which of the rectangular regions I'm currently looking at. (Note: the idea would be to make the gaze regions rather large to compensate for error.) The above is just a simple example, but the advantage over other methods like dwell is that it could be a lot faster. Another simple example: Using the same rectangular regions, instead of speech input, I could hold a button placed in just one spot on the screen, and look around the screen with my gaze to produce a laser beam for some kind of game, or draw curves (that I might smooth-out to reduce inaccuracy). OR maybe someone who does not have their hands available. This would require us to have the ability to get the coordinates of the eye gaze, but otherwise the other approach of just opting to trigger uicontrol elements might work for coarse selection. Would other developers find this useful as well? I'd like to propose this feature in feedback assistant, but I'm also opening-up a little discussion if by chance someone sees this. In short, I propose: a formal eye-tracking API for iPadOS 18+ that allows for turning on/off the tracking within the app, with the necessary user permissions the API should produce begin/changed/ended events similar to the existing events in UIKit, including screen coordinates. There should be a way to identify that an event came from eye-tracking. alternatively, we should have at minimum an invisible UIControl subclass that can detect when the eyes enter/leave the region.
2w
[CAMetalLayer nextDrawable] returning nil because allocation failed.
Why do I get this error almost immediately on starting my rendering pass? Multiline BlockQuote. 2024-05-29 20:02:22.744035-0500 RoomPlanExampleApp[491:10341] [] <<<< AVPointCloudData >>>> Fig assert: "_dataBuffer" at bail (AVPointCloudData.m:217) - (err=0) 2024-05-29 20:02:22.744455-0500 RoomPlanExampleApp[491:10341] [] <<<< AVPointCloudData >>>> Fig assert: "_dataBuffer" at bail (AVPointCloudData.m:217) - (err=0) 2024-05-29 20:05:54.079981-0500 RoomPlanExampleApp[491:10025] [CAMetalLayer nextDrawable] returning nil because allocation failed. 2024-05-29 20:05:54.080144-0500 RoomPlanExampleApp[491:10341] [] <<<< AVPointCloudData >>>> Fig assert: "_dataBuffer" at bail (AVPointCloudData.m:217) - (err=0)
May ’24
Mistake in OpenGLView:drawRect
I rewrite an old project since OpenGL is deprecated and the downgrade to High Sierra goes with the lost of the old project. Here is the drawRect: - (void)drawRect:(NSRect)dirtyRect { [super drawRect:dirtyRect]; if(backgroundColor == 1) glClearColor(0.95f, 1.0, 1.0f, 1.0); else glClearColor(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f); glClear (GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT); glLoadIdentity(); glTranslatef(0.0 ,0.0, -10.0); // After mistake I wrote PushMatrix() glTranslatef(-0.01 ,-0.01, -10.0); // Screen Shot 0 // glTranslatef(-0.25 ,-0.25, -10.0); Screen Shot 1 glLineWidth(1.0); glRotated(rotationX, 1, 0, 0); glRotated(rotationY, 0, 1, 0); glCallList(axes); // After mistake I wrote PopMatrix() // Axes Vertices of xx,y,z are 1.0 // With vertices +/-0.99 nothing is drawn [self glError]; [self.openGLContext flushBuffer]; } I hope you Accept my Text and hope you can help me ! Mit freundlichen Grüßen Uwe Screen Shot 0 Screen Shot 1
May ’24
GroundingShadowComponent tanks performance even when set to false
Working on a vision OS app. I've noticed that even when castsShadow is false, performance goes down the drain when there are more than a few dozen entities that have GroundingShadowComponent. I managed to hard crash the Vision Pro with about 200 or so entities that each had two ModelEntities with GroundingShadowComponent attached but set to castShadows = false. My solution is to add and remove the GroundingShadowComponent from entities as needed, but I thought maybe someone at Apple might want to look into this. I don't expect great performance with that many entities casting shadows, but I'd think turning the shadow off would effectively disable the component and not incur a performance penalty.
May ’24
Gamma issue when display linear color
Hi, I'm displaying linear gray by CAMetalLayer with the shader below. fragment float4 fragmentShader(VertexOut in [[stage_in]], texture2d<float, access::sample> BGRATexture [[ texture(0) ]]) { float color = in.texCoordinates.x; return float4(float3(color), 1.0); } And my CAMetalLayer has been set to linearSRGB. metalLayer.colorspace = CGColorSpace(name: CGColorSpace.linearSRGB) metalLayer.pixelFormat = .bgra8Unorm Why the display seem add gamma? Apparently the middle gray is 187 but not 128.
Feb ’24
DS4macOS Compiled Things Partially and Run But it Has 30+ Yellow Warnings & Doesn't Show the Setting
Hi Apple and Swift friends. I'm not really a fluent Swift programmer (or any language) just knowledgable, I just a vague logic of what's going on. This is a gamepad controller remapper similar to DS4Windows on the PC and DSX on Steam gaming. On macOS Sonoma, it successfully compiled and connected the amazing Sony Playstation DualSense but because it has 33 yellow warning, the Setting doesn't show. It says something about outdated something and needs to be replaced by a newer framework.network. It also says it can't use self: It should look like these: What could be the syntax changes that won't produce the 30+ yellow warnings? The file can be had here: [https://github.com/marcowindt/ds4macos) God bless.
Feb ’24
iOS 16 & 17 touch input stutter on Pro Motion devices. Workaround?
The touch input stutter issue that exists since iOS 16 on devices with Pro Motion Displays has not been fixed yet. I filed a bug report in July but there isn't any progress since months. I see the problem in all games I tried. My game is fast paced so the stutters are quite obvious and I receive a lot of complaining emails. My game did run smoothly on Pro Motion devices with iOS 15. Is there a known workaround? I am seeing other developers having the same issue but I can't find any solutions. Other threads about this issue: IPhone 14 Pro stuttering in most games when using touch controls FPS drops when tapping the screen on iPhone 13 Pro Max
Dec ’23
Scene Kit Rotation - rotating around X and Y axis only, causing Z rotation
I am trying to control the orientation of a box in Scene Kit (iOS) using gestures. I am using the translation in x and y to update the x and y rotation of the SCNNode. After a long search I have realised that x and y rotation will always lead to z rotation, thanks to this excellent post: [https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/136174/im-rotating-an-object-on-two-axes-so-why-does-it-keep-twisting-around-the-thir?newreg=130c66c673f848a7be2873bf675573a9) So I am trying to get the z rotation causes, and then remove this from my object by applying the inverse quaternion however when I rotate the object 90 deg around x, and then 90 deg around Y it behaves VERY weirdly. It is almost behaving as it is in gimbal lock, but I did not think that using quaternion in the way that I am would cause gimbal lock in this way. I am sure it is something I am missing, or perhaps I am not able to remove the z rotation in this way. Thanks! I have added a video of the strange behaviour here [https://github.com/marcusraty/RotationExample/blob/main/Example.MP4) And the code example is here [https://github.com/marcusraty/RotationExample)
Dec ’23
DrawableQueue to RealityKit ShaderGraphMaterial ignoring alpha channel of texture?
I'm using DrawableQueue to create textures that I apply to my ShaderGraphMaterial texture. My metal render is using a range of alpha values as a test. My objects displayed with the DrawableQueue texture are working as expected, but the alpha component is not working. Is this an issue with my DrawableQueue descriptor? My ShaderGraphMaterial? A missing setting on my scene objects? or some limitation in visionOS? DrawableQueue descriptor let descriptor = await TextureResource.DrawableQueue.Descriptor( pixelFormat: .rgba8Unorm, width: textureResource!.width, height: textureResource!.height, usage: [.renderTarget, .shaderRead, .shaderWrite], // Usage should match the requirements for how the texture will be used //usage: [.renderTarget], // Usage should match the requirements for how the texture will be used mipmapsMode: .none // Assuming no mipmaps are needed for the text texture ) let queue = try await TextureResource.DrawableQueue(descriptor) queue.allowsNextDrawableTimeout = true await textureResource!.replace(withDrawables: queue) Draw frame: guard let drawable = try? drawableQueue!.nextDrawable(), let commandBuffer = commandQueue?.makeCommandBuffer()//, //let renderPipelineState = renderPipelineState else { return } let renderPassDescriptor = MTLRenderPassDescriptor() renderPassDescriptor.colorAttachments[0].texture = drawable.texture renderPassDescriptor.colorAttachments[0].loadAction = .clear renderPassDescriptor.colorAttachments[0].storeAction = .store renderPassDescriptor.colorAttachments[0].clearColor = clearColor /*renderPassDescriptor.colorAttachments[0].clearColor = MTLClearColor( red: clearColor.red, green: clearColor.green, blue: clearColor.blue, alpha: 0.5 )*/ renderPassDescriptor.renderTargetHeight = drawable.texture.height renderPassDescriptor.renderTargetWidth = drawable.texture.width guard let renderEncoder = commandBuffer.makeRenderCommandEncoder(descriptor: renderPassDescriptor) else { return } renderEncoder.pushDebugGroup("DrawNextFrameWithColor") //renderEncoder.setRenderPipelineState(renderPipelineState) // No need to create a render command encoder with shaders, as we are only clearing the drawable. // Since we are just clearing the drawable to a solid color, no need to draw primitives renderEncoder.endEncoding() commandBuffer.commit() commandBuffer.waitUntilCompleted() drawable.present() }
Oct ’23
Activate Game Mode for my App in Sonoma?
Hello everyone. I wonder what conditions should be met to let Sonoma activate Game Mode for my App? The app is a 3D application with high demands on GPU, so gaining additional performance from OS would be great. But simply going full screen does not activate Game Mode like e.g. games from Steam do. Are there any settings that one could influence to let the app trigger Game Mode? Best regards, Alex
Oct ’23
Xcode builds create cruft in /private/var/folders/
I've got a Mac Mini running as a CI/CD server; it's a game project, and every time we push a change to the repo, the server creates a build & uploads it to TestFlight. I've noticed that after running the server for around a week or so, the main drive is getting filled to the point of the machine becoming unresponsive (and our builds failing). After some investigation, I've determined that /private/var/folders/ is getting filled up with... something, related to the Xcode build/archive. It seems like we absolutely do not need this information, so I've periodically run rm -rf /private/var/folders/* to clean it out – some folders are permission-protected, but regardless, I'm able to recover >100GB with this method. Although this workaround does suffice, I'm just wondering what kinds of files Xcode is creating here, and whether there's a cleaner/best-practice method to remove them.
Sep ’23
backtrace_symbols() doesn't supply file/line
How is this a valid stack trace with mangled symbol names and file/line information? I've already demangled the name, even though Windows does this for me. The recommended approach to get file/line seems to be to proc "atos" process repeatedly on the symbols to turn them all into file/line. But shouldn't there just be a function call for this, or option to backtrace_symbols() since it's looking up the symbol anyways. I don't get how this external process call would work for iOS, and it seems slow for macOS as well. Compare this with Window CaptureStackBackTrace, and then there is a simple function call via DbgHelp.lib to retrieve the file/line. Am I supposed to somehow use the CoreSymbolicate framework on macOS/iOS?
Sep ’23
Need example of HDR video recording on macOS (and iOS)
The macOS screen recording tool doesn't appear to support recording HDR content (f.e. in QuickTime player). This tool can record from the camera using various YCbCr 422 and 420 formats needed for HVEC and ProRes HDR10 recording, but doesn't offer any options for screen recording HDR. So that leaves in-game screen recording with AVFoundation. Without any YCbCr formats exposed in Metal api, how do we use CVPixelBuffer with Metal, and then send these formats off to the video codes directly? Can we send Rec2020 RGB10A2Unorm data directly? I'd like the fewest conversions possible.
Sep ’23
Physics Engine for Metal API rendering
Hello everyone! Here with another graphics api question but slightly different. I'm currently looking at 2 SDK's for physics called PhysX and Bullet. The game asphalt 9 uses metal and bullet and I would like to do the same with asphalt 9. With metal 3 out and stable it seems, I would like to use one of these engines for my upcoming metal api rendering engine. Bur there's a catch, I wish to use objective-c or c++ for both the rendering engine and the physics engine as I mentioned above, but not me touching swift(its a good language but i wish to use c++ for game development). What do you guys say about this?
Aug ’23